Museum project will examine thousands of objects
Rutland County Museum is undertaking a collection review of all objects in its reserve collection. The objects in the review include the mixed social history and the archaeology collection. A small team from a company called Culture Syndicates are working with museum staff to review all the objects within its stores.
Collections review and rationalisation is part of effective collections management. We hope that the review will
help us to
- Ensure that the collections are relevant to the museum’s Collections Development Plan
- Maximise storage space
- Ensuring collections are of high quality and relevant to users
- Enhance knowledge and information about the collections and improve documentation
- Identifying objects that can be used in handling collections
- Identifying objects that can be used within our temporary exhibition programme
- Identifying objects that may be more suitable in other museum collections.
The museum has over 12,000 objects in its stores and therefor this project will take many months to complete. We shall be keeping you informed of the work being undertaken on our Twitter and Facebook pages so please do take a look and see what we are currently working on.
If you have any queries or questions about the review at all, please do email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.